Thursday, September 01, 2005

Personal Revelation

Oh what growth I have seen in the past few days. I love more now, I feel more now. For a long time I have been dead, no feelings on the inside, I refused to feel or to love. It was so much easier to have no feelings and to block out other people's love for me. But I have tasted of the good fruits again, even if just a tiny portion, and yet it is so good. I am so happy to see some good has come from my struggles to improve and overcome my weakness' and pride. I am beginning to let go of my anger that I so often hid behind and am beginning to use my heart in showing kindness and almost love. It is hard though, pride gets in the way. But I will continue to grow and to enahance the quality of my life.

After coming home from visiting college I have seen a great change in my heart. After hearing the testimonies given and feeling of the Spirit that is on the campus and in the hearts of it's people, a greater desire has come upon me to do good and work harder. This desire of the spirit overcomes the desires of the mind and flesh, invigorating the soul and bringing joy. I have a hope that all who are struggling, especially my close friend, will find strength within themselves to pull through. I have a picture on my wall, with some words next to it. It reads:

"The way may be difficult at times but I will always be there"

The picture is of Christ. I don't fully understand how it is that he can take my sins from me and make me whole, I don't think I'll come to fully know for a very long time. But I do know that he can, if I let him. If I let go of my mistakes and move on. Haha, my institute teacher, a rebel in his days of youth and now one of the most spiritual men that I know, once said something to our class about sin. "We all sin. Don't dwell on it. So you sinned, okay, get over it and move on." I thought this was such an optimistic look at it. I liked it because I beat myself up over the things I've done in the past, for years I've beat myself up over it all. But that began to change when I was in a interview with my Stake President for a Temple Endowment Recommend. In response to me telling him how I beat myself up over my erring ways, he said:

"You know, beating yourself up about those things can be sinful."

His words knocked the socks off of me. I almost dropped my jaw right there. But as time continued, I've come to see he's right. We are going to sin, duh! God knows that, or else he wouldn't need a plan to redeem us from our sins. But it is our responsibility as imperfect children to not further impede our spiritual growth by not forgiving ourselves of our own trespasses.

"...the Lord will forgive whom he will forgive, but men must forgive all." (D&C 64:10, emphasis added)

It specifically says ALL, which includes oneself. If we don't forgive ourselves, how can God forgive us? We are single-handedly stopping the Lord from showing his infinite mercy towards us by not forgiving ourselves. And to stop the Eternal Father from showing forth his love would definately be defined as sinful if you ask me.

Be true to your faith and to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We must press forward. Life is like going up an escalator that is going down, if we aren't constantly moving our legs forward and upward, then we'll be pulled down just like the rest of the people in this world who are just along for the ride.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peculiar 'Mormon' said...

I suppose i've never really thought of it like that either... "We all sin, get over it." I'm just so wrapped up in my want for perfection, that I haven't looked at it that way.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home